Laminate End Splash
Countertops that butt into a wall can be finished with an end splash. The end splash is basically a separate back splash that fits between end of countertop and wall.
The description below is for a standard post formed kitchen countertop 25-1/2" wide, with 3" high back splash. The dimension of the end splash is 1-1/4"(W) X 4-1/2"(H) X 25-1/2"(L).
Basic tools required are; power drill, drill bits, Phillips screwdriver, 3" or larger c-clamp (quick clamp or f-clamp) and saw horses.
Supplies needed are; pencil, masking tape, adhesive caulk, 6- #6 X 1-5/8" Phillips head sheet rock screws, short narrow scrap piece of 3/4" material and rag for clean up.
How to Apply an End Splash
- Determine which end of countertop to apply end splash.
- Put countertop on saw horses laminate side up.
- Take scrap piece of 3/4" material and position parallel with and on the bottom of nose stick leaving about 1-1/2" extending out. Secure stick in place with clamp (Fig. 1), being very careful not to damage laminate, use some type of pad between laminate surface and clamp.
- Take end splash and hold it laminate-side toward countertop.
- Rest front of end splash on stick held with clamp, while holding front of end splash flush. Move back of end splash so top of end splash and top of back splash are flush. Hold in this position with one hand. Now trace around top and bottom profile of countertop with a pencil (Fig.2). To see the pencil line better it is recommended to apply masking tape to the laminate side of end splash in the area that makes contact with the countertop profile.
- You should now have a perfect outline of the countertop marked on the end splash.
- Now mark 6 locations (4 on the 25-1/2" dimension and 2 on the 4-1/2" dimension) centered between lines. Use drill and drill bit the same diameter as screws to drill completely through the end return from the laminate side (Fig. 3).
- After holes are drilled wipe away pencil line or remove masking tape on end splash and any pencil line that may be on the countertop.
- Apply a generous amount of adhesive caulk on end splash following centerline of screw holes (Fig. 4).
- Rest front of end splash on stick again. Flush front of countertop on front of end splash also the back of the end splash must be level with the top of the back splash. Then insert screw closest to top of back splash and tighten. Care should be taken not to strip out the screws. Use power drill with Phillips bit to start screw and tighten untill snug. It is recommended to finish tightening by hand. After screw is in place make sure the front of end splash is still flush with front of countertop. It is very important to drive screws in straight, so as not to raise or crack laminate on surface of countertop. Hold hand on laminate in area of screw. if you feel the laminate start to lift, stop and back the screw out. Drill new hole repeat process.
- Install remaining screws with power drill and hand tighten (Fig.5).
- Remove clamp and stick.
- Clean up squeeze-out according to caulk manufacturers instructions with rag.
Click on images to enlarge.